Why carry a defensive weapon
- Rape occurs every 5 minutes
- 1 out of 3 women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime
- Assault occurs every 10 seconds R
- Robbery occurs every 46 seconds
- 1 in 5 families will be a victim of crime each year
- 4.5 million dog attacks occur each year
Since no weapon is useful unless you have access to it, any useful weapon must be one that is legal to carry. All states except Illinois have some law permitting concealed carry. The ability to gain a permit/license is very restricted in some states (New York, New Jersey), less restricted in others (Utah, Florida), and minimally so in others still (Alaska, Vermont). Although a firearm is the ultimate intimidator, many people do not want to deal with a firearm. I think that next in line is a double-edged fighting knife. People seem to have an instinctive fear of knives, and, if used properly, they are highly effective. If a knife meets length limitations and not an automatic type knife, it may be legally carried in most states. After firearms and knifes, I think any martial art weapon whose techniques may easily be applied to common objects a person may be carrying or pick up from his or her surroundings would be a good choice.