- Best Weapon for Self-Defense
- May you legally carry the weapon?
- May the weapon be deployed quickly?
- May the weapon be used effectively?
- Are you capable of using the weapon effectively?
- Will the weapon’s effect be fast enough?
- Will you have the will to use the weapon?
- What if the attacker takes the weapon?
- Knives as self-defense weapons
- Firearms as self-defense weapons
- Best firearms for self-defense
- Best firearms for home defense
- All Pages
May the weapon be used effectively?
For a weapon to be effective for self-defense, it must be able to be used effectively in most situations and it must be able to deter or stop an attacker. While a firearm may be effective in stopping an attacker, it may not be used effectively in a crowded room since you may injure or kill innocent bystanders. A bullet will keep going and continue to be dangerous until it strikes something that stops it. You have more precise control of a knife and it will usually not injure bystanders.