Jumping involves two things:
- Purpose for the jump
- The jump itself
In Taekwondo, the purpose of a jump is usually to perform a kick; therefore, Taekwondo jumps are performed in a specific way.
- Preparation (without alerting the opponent)
- Jump (as high as needed)
- Chamber (for power in the kick, usually achieved by tucking)
- Kick (as quickly and powerful as possible)
- Re-camber (to regain stability and prepare for the landing)
- Controlled landing (to softly land in a stable stance, in a guard position)
To train for jumping, running and weight lifting certainly help, but as with other activities, the best way to train for an activity is to perform the activity repeatedly. To help speed the training, it helps to break the activity into its component parts, train in each of the parts, and then train the activity using in all the parts together.
- Next >>