Page 3 of 4
The purpose of power training is to help the body learn to improve nerve-muscle reactions and explosiveness. There are many drills of this kind, and they should all be entered into gradually. Also see Plyometrics topic.
Some general exercises are:
- Bounding. Take really long, springy, bounding steps.
- Ground-to-Box Jumps. Jump off both feet up onto a box.
- Box-to-Ground Jumps. Jump off box and bounce up immediately, taking advantage of the stretch reflex.
- Some Taekwondo specific exercises are:
- Bounce back, then explode forward with a technique
- Drop, then explode forward