According to the National Academy of Sciences' diet and health report
- 22 to 27 BMI for persons 45 to 54 years of age
- 23 to 28 BMI for persons 55 to 65 years of age
- 24 to 29 BMI for persons over 65 years of age
According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey of 1994
- 59% of American men and 49% of women have BMI's over 25.
- Extreme obesity (BMI of 40 or more) was found in 2% of the men and 4% of the women.
Another way to determine body fat is using your waist circumference
Determine your waist circumference by placing a measuring tape snugly around your waist. It is a good indicator of your abdominal fat, which is another predictor of your risk for developing risk factors for heart disease and other diseases. This risk increases with a waist measurement of over 40 inches in men and over 35 inches in women