Page 3 of 5
Timing in Blocking
When blocking, timing is crucial since you must stop all attacks.
- If you block too soon, you may get hit and may open yourself for a combination attack.
- If you block too late, you may get hit and/or it may prevent your being able to counterattack.
- If you move too soon to avoid an attack, you may give your opponent time to change the trajectory of the attack to a new target, or to stop the attack and fire a second attack.
- If you move too late to avoid an attack, you may get hit.
- If you move too quick to avoid an attack, you may overreact to feints and fakes and leave yourself open.