A counterattack is an attack commenced during or just after an opponent's attack. The best time to attack is when your opponent is attacking. While attacking, your opponent is concentrating on the attack not on defense. Attacking opponents usually expose vital targets to a counterattack. Effective countering requires careful observance of the opponent for any hints of an attack and then using your speed, timing, and experience to avoid the attack and execute your own attack.
Which technique or combinations of techniques you use for a counterattack will depend upon the initiating attack used by the opponent, your speed, the relative body sizes of you and your opponent, your fear of being hit, and your degree of confidence.
Three basic types of counterattacks
Where you deflect or block the attack and then counter attack. These counters are useful for all sizes of fighters.
- Hard block the attack and immediately bounce the blocking arm off the attack into a counter attack.
- Parry an attack and circle your blocking arm downward in a tight, circular movement into an immediate counter attack.
Where you duck, dodge, side step, or otherwise avoid the attack and then counter attack. These types of counters are effective for light, quick fighters who want to avoid contact by a more powerful opponent.
- Duck by bending the knees to lower the head. Do not bend from the waist, since this will move your head closer to the opponent and will lower it, making it an easier target for a counterattack. Duck down, move toward the side the attack is coming from, and then back up in a "U" shape movement. If you duck and move in the same direction as the attack is movement, you may come up in front of the attack.
- Lean backward from the waist to avoid the attack and then lean forward into a counterattack.
- Skip backward to avoid the attack and then skip forward with a counter.
- Side step the attack and then counterattack.
Where you rush in, jam, or take the attack and then counter attack. These types of counters are effective for heavy, powerful fighters with confidence they can take a hit and keep going.
- Immediately upon seeing an attacking movement, strike with a counterattack.
- Immediately upon seeing an attacking movement, rush in with a counterattack.
- Immediately upon seeing an attacking movement, rush in and jam the attack and then counterattack.
- Absorb the attack and immediately counterattack.