Sweeping techniques are a form of attack or counterattack aimed at moving the opponent's lower leg to cause a loss of balance. Usually a sweep is an initial move designed to break the opponent's posture to create an opening for a decisive punch or kick.
Sweeps have several uses:
- To completely break the opponent's balance and cause him/her to fall.
- To momentarily upset the opponent's balance, to create an opening for attack.
- To impede and control opponent's forward motion by deflecting or checking the stepping foot, which could be used to foil an attack as well as to set up a counter attack.
- To break the opponent's balance after catching the kicking leg.
- To prevent opponent from running away.
- Next >>