Red dot indicates center of mass
The reverse back stance is similar to the back stance except the weight is shifted to the other leg and the attacking direction shifts 180 degrees. Just as with the back stance, leading leg kicks are easier to execute, especially side kicks.
- Stance Width. Heels aligned.
- Stance Depth. 1 shoulder width.
- Front Foot Position. Foot pointed toward outside.
- Back Foot Position. Foot pointed backward.
- Front Leg Position. Knee bent.
- Back Leg Position. Knee bent, shin vertical.
- Shoulder Position. Angled 90 degrees toward outside.
- Hip Position. Parallel with shoulders.
- Weight Distribution. 30% front foot; 70% back foot.
- Center of Mass. Centered nearly over back foot.
- When the left leg is forward, the stance a left reverse back stance. When the right leg is forward, it is a right reverse back stance.
- Stand with feet parallel, 1 shoulder width apart. Step left foot forward 1/2 shoulder width deep into a reverse back stance with the heel aligned with rear foot's heel. Imagine a "L" shape drawn on the floor. The right foot will align with the long side of the "L" and the left foot will align along the short side of the "L" with the heel at the corner.
- The shoulders angle 90 degrees toward the right. Keep hips parallel with the shoulders so upper body is angled toward the right.
- Side of left foot is pointed toward the opponent.
- Bend the back leg at the knee, with the shin vertical, back foot merely rests on the floor.
- Back leg is bent so 70% of the weight is on the back foot and 30 percent of the weight is on the front foot.
- The center of mass is centered nearly over the back foot. The weight is settled mostly over the back leg.
- When performing successive reverse back stances, keep the heels in alignment so the "L" shape is maintained.
- To move forward in successive back stances, the lead foot pivots 270 degrees counterclockwise as the weight is transferred to it and the back foot swings forward.
- Keep the front side of the body loose and free so all leading techniques will be quick and powerful.