Just as other styles of martial arts have their limitations, MMA techniques also have limitations, such as:
- Not very effective against more than one opponent
- Not very effective against an armed attacker
- Not very effective in a normal street environment
- Submission type techniques are not effective against opponents with an unnaturally high pain threshold due to the effects of alcohol or drugs
- Many grappling techniques are not effective when used against an opponent with a significant height, weight, or strength advantage
You can have your attacker in an arm bar, a leg lock, or a choke and be ready to finish him or her, when you suddenly realize that there is a knife sticking in your side and piercing your kidney. At that moment, you realize that you will never realize anything again—ever.