Class protocol is learned gradually. Do not expect to remember it all after the first class. Senior students will assist you and explain the steps as you progress in your training. As you earn higher-rank belts, you must know and practice the protocol and set an example for the lower-rank belts. If you do not understand class protocol or have any questions, ask your instructor. All students will STRICTLY adhere to the school's protocol.
The following is a sample protocol. Not all schools follow this bow-in protocol, some have more elaborate procedures with three or more standing or kneeling bows.
Entering the School
- Bow toward the training area when you first enter the dojang. This bow is to show respect for the school.
- Bow to seniors upon first meeting them.
- Respond with sir or ma’am when addressed by a senior. Remove street shoes before entering the training area. Use the shoe storage area, if provided.
- If required, proceed directly to the dressing room to don your uniform. Use provided facilities to store your street clothes.
- Do not leave valuables in the dressing room.
Entering the Training Area
- Be in the training area, at least 15 minutes before class and do personal warm-up stretching. If you are unavoidably detained or late for class, the instructor may assign you warm-up and/or disciplinary exercises, as appropriate.
- Bow toward the center of the training area each time you enter or leave the training area.
- If the instructor is present in the training area, wait until the instructor acknowledges your presence. When he or she does acknowledge you, bow and say, "Good morning/evening Mr./Ms (last name)." The instructor will return your bow and salutation.
- When the instructor commands "Line up!" the class will quickly line up facing the front of the training area (usually where the ceremonial wall is located) with the highest rank belt in the front and to the right. Other belts will line up in order of belt rank and seniority to the senior belt's left, in rows of three or four. Everyone will stand in a "chunbi" (ready stance). Students should remember their place in the order so they may line up quickly when ordered to line up again.
- The instructor or a designated student will lead the class in warm-up exercises.
- When the instructor commands "Line up!" the class will quickly line up again in a chunbi stance. The instructor will stand in front of the students facing the ceremonial wall. The instructor may have other black belts or senior students line to his or her left.
- Students will quickly leave the training area.
- If required, proceed directly to the dressing room to remove your uniform.
- Instructor will call for the class to line up.
- When there is absolute silence, the instructor will call the class to order with two quick claps of his or her hands. The senior student in the class, the first person in the front row, will give the following commands:
- Charyut! The class will snap to attention.
- Kyungnyet! Everyone will bow toward the ceremonial wall as a sign of respect for the art, its founders, and those who have come and gone before you.
- Dorat! The instructor, and anyone lined up beside the instructor, will perform an about-face to face the class.
- Tenets Begin! Class will recite the school tenets.
- Kyungnyet! The class will bow as a sign of respect to the instructor. The instructor, and anyone lined up beside the instructor, will simultaneously return the bow.
- The instructor will now begin class instruction.
- At the end of class, the instructor will command "Line up!" The class will line up again as it did at the beginning of class.
- The senior student, the first one in the front row, will give the following commands:
- Charyut! The class will snap to attention.
- Kyungnyet! The class will bow to the instructor. The instructor, and anyone lined up beside the instructor, will simultaneously return the bow.
- The second most senior student, the second one in the front row, will give the following commands:
- Dorat! Everyone in the class will turn right as necessary to face toward the senior student. The senior student will turn 135 degrees to his or her left.
- Kyungnyet! The class will bow to the senior student and the senior student will simultaneously return the bow.
- Dorat! The class will turn left (senior student will turn right) to face the instructor again.
- The instructor will command, "Begin cool-down!"
- The instructor or a designated student will lead the class in cool-down exercises.
- The instructor will command:
- Hae Cho! The class dismissed.
Leaving the School
- Don your street shoes after exiting the training area.
- Bow toward the training area as you leave the school.