In some martial art schools, an oath is recited at beginning of class.
As a martial art practitioner, I will:
- Observe the tenets of my art.
- Seek to fulfill the true meaning of my art.
- Never misuse my art's techniques.
- Be a champion of freedom and justice.
- Build a more peaceful world.
- Work toward increasing the science, sport, and way of my art.
- Increasing the physical, mental, and spiritual aspects of my life to develop a firm, unshakable spirit.
- Observe the rules of courtesy, respect my instructors and superiors, and refrain from violence.
- Follow my God, cultivate a spirit of self-denial, and never forget the true virtue of humility.
- Help my teammates achieve each of the above.
Oath used by Taekwondo America schools
- I shall observe the tenets of Taekwondo.
- I shall respect instructors and seniors.
- I shall never misuse Taekwondo.
- I will be a champion of freedom and justice.
- I will build a more peaceful world.