The following is an agreement once used by a major martial arts rip-off organization. The names have been changed to protect the guilty. The organization changed names numerous times and it still exists, more than likely still ripping off students, instructors, and owners. Years ago, I was threatened with legal action by the organization for even posting the names of the patterns in their pattern set. Be careful what you sign, you may be signing away your future in the martial arts.
Red emphasis has been added to important sections.
Agreement made this day of ___________ , 20___, between the Rip-off Yu Association (hereinafter referred to as ROYA) and _________ (hereinafter referred to as Member)
As a condition to Member's training in the martial art of Rip-off Yu, and with ROYA complying with the agreements set forth below, Member agrees as follows:
1. Instruction in Martial Arts
- Member hereby promises to ROYA that Member will not teach, instruct, advise or give any form of lesson in any form of martial art, under any name (real or fictitious) without first obtaining the necessary written permission, credentials, certifications and authorizations from the ROYA to do so. Documents include but are not limited to a valid Degree Certificate, a valid Instructor certificate and written authorizations from ROYA to instruct.
- When Member obtains the necessary documents and authorizations to teach the martial art of Rip-off Yu, Member shall at all times present himself/herself as an instructor of Rip-off Yu and not any other type of martial art, regardless of any previous training or ranking in another martial art.
- Member agrees to prominently display his/her certifications and authorizations at Member's teaching premises.
- Prior to attaining an Instructor's Degree, Member agrees to train and test at ROYA Headquarters.
- ROYA reserves the right to retract Member's authorizations and certifications to instruct at any time, although this retraction shall in no way alter or affect any other portion of this agreement.
- If Member operates under any circumstances as an instructor, advisor, consultant or serves in any other capacity as an authority in any martial art (real or fictitious) without current and validated written authorization from ROYA , Member agrees to forfeit all profits from said instruction and/or operations to ROYA and shall cease all such instruction and operation upon demand of ROYA. Furthermore, if ROYA deems it necessary to procure the services of an attorney (s) to obtain compliance with a demand to cease instruction and/or operations and/or an accounting of finances involved, Member agrees to be liable hereunder for all attorney's fees and other legal costs incurred by ROYA.
- Member shall not engage in any instructional services to any organized group, such as governmental, military, law enforcement, corporations, companies or other organizations. Such services shall be done only by agreements or contracts directly between the group in question and ROYA, with the Member working as an authorized agent of ROYA. In order to serve as an authorized agent, Member agrees to obtain written permission to serve in such capacity from ROYA , with any monetary disbursement to be arranged in that contract or agreement granting such permission.
- Member agrees to continue his/her personal training to upgrade his/her abilities on a regular basis with a minimum of 50 hours of increased instruction per year. This training is to be completed at ROYA Headquarters (or at an approved location authorized in writing by ROYA) .
- ROYA agrees to assist Member in his/her training to further enhance and update Member's abilities in the form of periodic seminars, classes and information dissemination. ROYA also agrees to assist Member in their quest to instruct others in Rip-off Yu by supplying Member with periodic instruction in methods of instruction that the Member is encouraged to participate in.
- Next >>