Page 2 of 34
- For a midsection kick, trap it or spike it with your elbow.
- In a clinch, keep your gloves over the opponent's face so he or she has difficulty breathing.
- In a clinch or on the mat, dig your chin to dig into your opponent's face or body. A few days growth of beard makes the dig more effective. The growth also helps attacks slide off the face.
- In a clinch or on the mat, keep the forearm across and rubbing on the opponent's face.
- While being clinched, hook kick to the side and back around the opponent, digging the heel into the back of the head or neck.
- Throw a hook punch, but hit with the bony part of the wrist rather than the fist, since this area is not protected by gloves.
- It is usually illegal to punch or kick an opponent who is down, so get the hits in quickly before the opponent get to the mat.