Page 5 of 6
Some points to consider in blocking are:
- Look at approaching blow.
- Execute the block forcibly to defect the blow.
- When possible, use blocking hand on the same side of the body as the lead foot
- Deflecting and redirecting an attacking object will absorb less of the energy from the strike by the body than by stopping it. It disperses the attack harmlessly away, avoiding the brunt of the attack.
- Tense body at moment of impact.
- Maintain balance.
- Immediately re-chamber the arm.
- Be prepared to counterattack. Follow every block with a counterattack.
- Apply perpendicular or circular force.
- Use opponent’s force against him or her.