Page 2 of 6
Reasons why counter attackers are efficient and deadly
- In an attack, the attacker does not know what the opponent will do in reaction; whereas, the counter attacker knows exactly what the attacker is doing.
- Attackers attack where they think the target will be will be after the opponent reacts to the attack; whereas, the counter attacker attacks where the target is at the moment of the attack.
- Their opponents are always trying to think of another attack that may work against them, so in a way, opponents are always on the defense.
- Counterattacking uses less energy than attacking so counter attackers do not tire as quickly as attackers.
- Since attacking requires planning, attackers are always thinking about their next attack, which slows them down. Counter attackers relax, stay alert, and react to the opponent's attack with instinct rather than thought, so their responses are quick.
- Attackers have a plan of attack when they attack, so each attack has a beginning and an end. The power and kiai of the attack is on the ending technique. If things do not go according to plan, the planned end never arrives, and neither does the power. Since a counter attacker has no set response, there is no planned end to the counterattack, so the finishing technique with power and kiai may come at anytime.