Off-speed timing. With this method, you make your opponent think you are going to fire before you do. This is a fake, except you fake with your intended strike. Since it is a fake, some over-acting works to your advantage. As a defender, if you see someone lead with his or her back shoulder, you probably expect a reverse punch. This may used to your advantage.
- Assume a normal closed fighting stance at a realistic range from your opponent.
- Execute a reverse punch to a mid-section target to force a block with the arms and not just a body shift.
- To convince your opponent that a reverse punch is coming, you must totally commit to the technique.
- At the last instant, stop the punch, wait a split second for the defender to complete the block, and then continue forward with the punch to the target, which is now open.
- The method may also be used with kicks.