The first techniques you need are the ones you need to use when you take your first actions. They need to be quick, so they will surprise the attacker, and devastating, by causing de-habilitating pain or injury.
Body Thrust. This is an effective technique to use when an attacker comes at you with the intent to wrestle you to the ground; it is especially useful when the attacker is much heavier than you are. To use it:
- Step to the side to avoid the initial charge.
- Bend your knees to load your legs.
- Suddenly spring upward pushing off the rear foot.
- Slam both your palm heels inward and upward into the attacker’s upper abdomen or lower ribs.
- This thrust will knock the attacker backward and knock away his or her breath so he or she will be stunned for a moment, allowing you to escape or take further action.