Your protection and protection of your property at work starts with your willingness to take a few simple steps:
- Keep your purse, wallet, or other valuables with you at all times or lock them in a drawer or closet.
- Never leave your keys lying around.
- Cash left on your desk or in an unlocked drawer is a great temptation to thieves.
- Request authorization from persons asking for confidential information or from delivery or repair people who want to enter an area restricted to employees.
- If you are responsible for office keys, do not leave them on your desk or in the top drawer where they could be taken or copied easily.
- Give keys only to those who have a legitimate need and make sure they are returned.
- If keys are lost or stolen, notify the Department of Public Safety.