Page 5 of 11
- Keep a well-charged cell phone readily available.
- Lock doors and keep windows up.
- Keep your vehicle in good working order.
- Keep the gas tank at least half-full at all times.
- Park in well-lighted areas.
- If someone or something appears suspicious, have a notepad and pen available in your vehicle so you can write down license plate numbers. Drive to a well-populated area and report suspicions to the police.
- When you return, have keys ready before reaching the vehicle, as you approach glance under the vehicle, then check rear seat and floor, glance around the area, quickly enter the vehicle, and lock doors before inserting key in ignition.
- Never give a parking attendant, mechanic, etc. all your keys. Only give them the ignition key and know their names. Use color key identifiers so you may quickly identify which key you need with fumbling.
- NEVER pick up hitchhikers.
- Maintain your vehicle regularly, such as tune-up, oil change, etc. Fill your vehicle with gas during day light hours in a familiar area.
- Drive on a flat tire until you reach a well-lighted and traveled area.