The home defense strategy includes tactics that may be used to protect the home. Burglars hit a home every 15 seconds. Why does a burglar pick one home instead of another? Burglars look for inviting "targets of opportunity," homes that are easy targets. To minimize the chances of being caught and to minimize the punishment if caught, burglars prefer to pick unoccupied homes. So one of the first things to do to protect your home from a burglar is to insure it always appears occupied.
- If you lose your keys or move into a new home, install new locks.
- List first initial and last name on mailbox or door and in phone book.
- Hang curtains or blinds on every window.
- Leave lights on if you are going to return home after dark.
- Beware of places strangers might hide, such as under stairs, in doorways, and behind bushes. Trim shrubbery that hides doors or windows.
- Get to know a neighbor you can trust in an emergency.
- Ask service people for identification.
- Vary your routine a little each day.
- Have key ready when approaching entrance door.
- Next >>