Page 6 of 17
Characteristics of rapists
There is no simple explanation of the etiology of rapist. Not all are alike but there are some shared characteristics.
- Rapists are usually young. Some 80% are under the age of 30 and 75% are under the age of 25.
- Most rapists are from the lower socioeconomic class, are often minority group members, and typically chose victims of their own race.
- Rapists tend to see men as takers in sex and women as the givers.
- Most rapists are unarmed and in 25% of the cases where a weapon is used, the weapon was a knife.
- Most rapists plan their attacks but many act on the spur of the moment.
- Rapists usually have a history of violence.
- Rapists usually come from average homes and are sell-groomed, intelligent, employed, and live with others in a family context.
- Adolescent rapes usually take place on a weekend near the end of summer vacation. They usually take place in the victim's home or in an automobile. Many involve multiple rapists and involve the use of alcohol by the rapists and the victims.