Page 5 of 11
Containment Theory by Reckless
- Factors that push toward delinquency( poverty and blocked opportunities) or pull into it (gangs or delinquent subcultures).
- Outer containment- parents and schools
- Inner containment- strong conscience or good self-concept.
Drift Theory by Matza
Drift is when kids use neutralization to get episodic release from conventional moral restraints and the drift in and out of delinquency.
Self-Control Theory by Gottfredson and Hirschi
- People with high self-control will be less likely at all periods of life to engage in criminal acts.
- Once formed in childhood, self-control stays stable throughout life.