Page 7 of 14
Ways to Decrease Anger
- Simple relaxation tools, such as deep breathing and relaxing imagery, may help calm angry feelings. Some simple steps you may try:
- Breathe deeply from your diaphragm; breathing from your chest will not relax you. Picture your breath coming up from your abdomen.
- Slowly repeat a calm word or phrase such as "relax" or "take it easy." Repeat it to yourself while breathing deeply.
- Use imagery; visualize a relaxing experience, from either your memory or your imagination.
- Non strenuous, slow yoga-like exercises may relax your muscles and make you feel calmer.
- Practice these techniques daily. Learn to use them automatically when you are in a tense situation.