Levels of Combat
- Run, rather than hurt.
- Hurt, rather than maim.
- Maim rather than kill.
- Kill, rather than be killed
Remember that any self-defense situation can turn deadly. Your attacker may strike you with the intent of knocking you unconscious but may use too much force and kill you. In response to an attack, you might accidentally use too much force in a strike and accidentally kill your attacker. Remember these four levels of self-defense and that self-preservation come first, and by properly executing Taekwondo techniques, you will be able to defend yourself properly in any situation.
Levels of Force
The following are the increasing levels of force. The degree of force increases from one level to the next.
- Display posture and body language that indicates level of confidence
- Use speech and attitude to indicate intentions
- Display defensive posture
- Use empty hand defensive techniques
- Use empty hand non-deadly force offensive techniques
- Use empty hand deadly force offensive techniques
- Display non-deadly force weapons
- Use non-deadly force weapons
- Display deadly force weapons
- Use deadly force weapons
The progression from level to level is not linear. One may skip levels if the situation demands it. Circumstances determine the initial entry level.