Taekwondo is was not just concerned with the development of combat skills, it is also concerned with the development of character and community. A woman touring a mental institution was surprised to find only three guards watching over 100 dangerous patients. She asked the guards why they were not afraid of the patients overpowering them. They said, "Lunatics never unite!" A group working as a team may accomplish much more than each person in the group working individually.
To build teamwork in a group of Taekwondo students:
- Insure each student knows he or she is a part of a team.
- Insure all students know they are required to help other students
- Structure classes to foster communication and interaction Make each student interdependent.
- Curtail misplaced internal competition and prevent future competition.
- Create a common goal with rewards that may be achieved by working together.
- Identify the rewards for working against each other and remove them.
- Create or identify common threats.
- Next >>