Page 2 of 4
Isshin-ryu is one of the Okinawan karate styles and is similar to other traditional karate styles:
- Hard, linear style.
- Stresses hand techniques.
- Basic punch uses a vertical fist.
- Kicks are usually to the middle section and uses a snapping motion.
- Uses standard karate katas that stress hand techniques.
- Uses some ground techniques.
- Uses point free-sparring but it is not stressed.
- Uses weapon katas.
- Uses small motion, precise, quick, complicated hand movements.
- Uses simple footwork.
- Uses traditional karate concepts and stresses traditional karate etiquette and procedures.
- While not immensely popular, it is widely practiced.
- Not an Olympic sport.